Friday 7 August 2009

The Highlander, Higham Dykes, Belsay, NE20 0DN. Tel:01661 861220.

LEFT CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

The Highlander stands alone at the side of the road, just south of the pleasant country village of Belsay which, incidentally, is bone dry. Without pubs. No pubs. In fact, pub less. It does have a shop and a cricket club though!
I found the Highlander quite relaxing and comfortable although somewhat isolated. A reasonable enough eating place with an inviting little area to sit and read your newspaper in afterwards. Good God I must be getting old.
The small bar area was deserted, but well populated on my last few few visits, which were 10 years ago and generally on a winter's evening. Still, worth a look in if you're in the area and fancy a pint of Hobgoblin, Black Sheep or Timothy Taylor's Landlord.
My Hobgoblin did go down rather well I must admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment