Tuesday 4 August 2009

Cumberland Arms, 17 Front Street, Tynemouth, NE30 4DX. Tel:0191 2571820.

The Cumberland Arms in Tynemouth fell on to my travels for Cask Task by accident, I'm so happy to say.
Every month or so a small gang of my friends have a little jaunt out for Sunday lunch. 'Il Forno' was chosen this time. A good restaurant placed handily in the Tynemouth Metro station. Just fall off the train and 'Bingo' your in. And very nice it was too. But I digress.
Only 2 minutes walk around the corner is Front Street and the Cumberland Arms, so after the meal, in we trooped.
Some 15 years or so ago, the lads from my place of work at the time met on a number of occasions right here. What a good real ale place it was too and still is.
Rather narrow, but quite long inside and on three different levels. No good to me now of course, because of my stroke, but a good ale house it certainly is. With a bit of a nautical feel to it too. The gents is, believe it or not, labeled the 'Bhoys'. The 'Gulls', being the other variety!
Tetleys Cask, Cumberland Ale, Directors, Whitehorse Giant, Brunswick Most Wanted, and Mordue's Workie Ticket were all there, amongst the ten or so hand pumps on two levels, but I could only have one 'Most Wanted'. Too much of a climb to the toilets for me.

Don't let me put you off though 'cos this is a good real ale house. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment