Friday 20 February 2009

Gateshead Arms, Low Fell, Gateshead


569
Durham
Rd
Gateshead,
NE9
5EY
0191
487
8770
Didn't fancy this one but it did have one real ale wooden handle so I went in. And sure enough, there it was, the token single pump supplied by the old Theakston cast off; Black Sheep!
Just for the record. I used to drink Theakstons as a session beer years ago before S & N got hold of it and put me off. So, in 1999, I decided to visit Masham, in Eh by gum land, and although S & N was just relinquishing ownership back to the family, Theakstons had been decimated! I couldn't resist a pint of the wonderful Old Peculiar which was, and still is, one of my favourites. But the visitor centre was deserted. What a crying shame.
Every Theakston pub in North Yorkshire had been taken hold of by that enterprising upstart -Black Sheep! So I decided to take snoop.
Black Sheep Brewery's visitor centre, in same town, was a real eye opener. It was stowed off! Packed oot!
Large bar. Restaurant. Gift shop. The lot. Even bought the Tee shirt. Goodnight Theakstons!
Their Black Sheep beer's damn good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment